They say it takes 21 days to build a new habit. Here we are, 22 days in to building our family meals habit, and for the most part it’s sticking. Despite the occasional bouts of grousing, we’re eating together each night. And we plan to stick with the habit past the month of January, keeping it flexible, of course.
In honor of 22 days of eating our evening meals together, here are 22 hopefully-helpful-links, loosely related to family meals, in no particular order.
- Simple Mom – the resource for all topics related to families and simplifying your life! The founder, Tsh Oxenreider is also the author of Simply Organized, and a fabulous e-book called One Bite at a Time
- Fly Lady – I started reading Fly Lady when S. was a newborn – the basic organizing principles she presents have really helped us over past five years – we don’t follow them perfectly, but we do aim for a somewhat-shiny kitchen sink each night, and minimal clutter around the house.
Web-Sites with Great Recipes/Menu Planning
- The Family Dinner - Laurie David’s web-site, which includes a huge recipe index. Check out the weekly “Table Talk” conversation starter, also published by The Huffington Post
- Do It Delicious – Jessica Seinfeld’s blog, which includes recipes and family dinner tips
- Organized Home – great printable menu-planning and pantry inventory resources
- Super Healthy Kids - blog with lots of free menus and templates
- Faithful Provisions - a website with a wide variety of menu planning templates and money-saving tips
- Simple Bites – part of Tsh Oxenreider’s Simple Living network, this link will take your straight to delicious goodness, not to mention some awesome give-aways
- Orangette – still my favorite food blog ever. Ever. I also love Molly Wizenberg’s book, A Homemade Life: Stories from My Kitchen Table
- The Family Dinner by Laurie David
- My Life in France by Julia Child and Alex Prud’Homme
- A Grateful Heartby M.J. Ryan
- How to Cook a Wolf by M.F.K. Fisher
- Anything and everything by Ruth Reichl
Movies About Eating (that may or may not include families)
No commentary on these choices tonight – maybe that’ll be for a future post…
- Eat, Drink, Man, Woman
- Big Night
- Julie and Julia
- Eat, Pray, Love
- Mostly Martha
- Under the Tuscan Sun
What great web-sites, blogs, books, and movies would you add?